Location: Vancouver, BC
Klei Entertainment is seeking an imaginative and passionate writer to expand the world of Don’t Starve Together, from writing storylines and designing characters to writing and implementing in-game text.
As a writer at Klei, you will join a world-class team of software engineers, game designers, artists and animators who are continually pushing the boundaries of entertainment. Our award-winning games are played by millions of fans, spanning multiple platforms and languages.
- Write and implement in-game text in the tone and style of Don’t Starve Together
- Pitch and script animated character shorts and gameplay trailers
- Work with our team of talented designers to implement upcoming lore and marry new mechanics with established world narrative
- Help write and maintain lore documentation for characters, worlds and events
- Break story on new DLCs, story arcs and character backgrounds
- Provide edits and feedback to fellow writers
- Test all implemented strings to ensure function and quality within the game
- Occasionally draft forum posts and marketing copy
- Provide support to localization teams when required
- Demonstrable skills in world building and dialogue writing
- Experience with or desire to learn about the technical differences in writing for interactive versus linear media
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Comfortable writing in both Canadian and American English
- Previous writing experience in film or games
- Familiarity with the world, characters and story of Don’t Starve and Don’t Starve Together are a big plus
- Passion for video games and the future evolution of narrative within the medium
- Previous experience working in an indie or AAA game pipeline
- Extreme love of puns
- Secondary skills such as drawing, music composition, storyboarding etc are a huge plus
Applicants to this position will be applying to work on Don’t Starve Together and must send 1-3 pages of writing samples with a focus on dialogue with their application. Applicants of all backgrounds and skill levels are encouraged to apply.
Think you’re the right person? Send your resume, website and/or work samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org